Publicans at the Red Lion at Blackwater during World War Two
12th August 1944 & 10th April 1961
Laid to rest: Mithian churchyard
Violet and her husband George were the landlords of the Red Lion Inn at Blackwater from 1940 until 1947. Violet and George's grave is rather distinctive, having separate holders for lavender and rosemary built-in to the grave design.
George and Violet were originally from the south-east of the UK. They met and married relatively late in life, in East Ham in 1931. Originally, they kept The Black Swan pub in Carter Lane - very close to St Paul's Cathedral - but this was destroyed during The Blitz in 1940. George and his wife Violet must have been relieved to move to the tranquillity of Cornwall, and they stayed here for the rest of their lives.
Violet passed away in 1946, and was laid to rest in this beautiful plot near to the tower of the (now-derelict) St Peter's church. George gave up the tenancy of the pub less than a year after his wife died, and he passed away near Truro, fifteen years later. There appear to have been no children from their marriage.
We can deliver flowers, or another token of remembrance, to the resting place of Violet and George Fisher on your behalf: